Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Post to Satisfy My Mother

I know, I know...the lack of blog posts in the last couple of weeks has been disappointing. I wish I had something fun to share, but really, life has been pretty hum drum. No doubt, we've been keeping ourselves busy...so here's what we've been doing lately:



1.) Caulk. The rain was inevitably coming, so I had to kick it into high-gear and caulk our cracked siding. The garage side of the house sees the most weather, thankfully, and as a result, the garage siding (in places) has begun to rot. So, I suppose I caulked it back to life. Then, I primed it back to life. And one day when the rain stops, I'll paint it back to life.

2.) Adam repaired our deck door. Last winter, we discovered rain seeping it's way downstairs through a window. After some investigation, we found that the deck door was rotten in the corner and leaking into the basement. Hopefully, it's truly fixed. Oh, and I also did a good amount of caulking on the deck side of the house as well.

3.) I joined the preschool board. Nothing special, but I see it as a way to get involved with the community and meet people. Last Friday I baked cookies, baked a whole oven-full of potatoes, and volunteered at the preschool's annual "Salmon Corn Dinner." Home-grown corn and freshly caught BBQ'd cedar plank salmon...YUM-MY!

4.) Watched "The Proposal" with my Mom and her friends at the Columbian. I hadn't been there since junior high because of the scary owner/manager. It's been re-vamped as a somewhat run-down McMenamin's type theater for several years now. It was quite fun! Afterwards we had appetizers at Pier 11 Steakhouse (again, another place I hadn't been to since HS for their less than awesome food). The place is under new management and the food was delish!

5.) Adam left for Atlanta on Sunday for work. He won't be returning till this Saturday. Sad.

6.) Visited Faith. The Hollett family moved into downtown Vancouver over a month ago, and I was dying to see their new place. Adam had already been there with the kids on the day that I was doing the Shanghaied in Astoria "Fun Run" on the Astoria Riverwalk in support of my sister's coffee shop. It's a little coffee shop competition...I'll spare you the details. ANYway, Faith's place is adorable. It's probably somewhere around 100 years old and quite charming. The kids played (rather loudly), Faith and I visited, and she foiled my hair (again). All around, a good time.

7.) Auntie Weesie spent the night! Elise's husband is working nights this week for his boat operator's job, so she was free to hang out with us. We talked, watched 1/2 a movie, and turned in early. Elise and I don't spend enough time together, and it was nice not to have to spend another night alone.

8., 9., & 10.) Paint. Paint. Paint.

**I got halfway done with painting the bunny shelter.

**I painted Synnove's closet in preparation for her new floor. Originally, we left her closet paint-free because it was cedar. However, because we took her closet doors off (didn't work properly) and put up sheer white curtains, her closet is exposed. Having painted plank walls, a non-painted plank closet, and plank floors would just be distracting. Ugly. So, I fixed the problem.

**After MUCH delay, I finally finished Soren's dresser. Painting it was easy. It wasn't until I tried to replace the hardware that it got difficult. I thought I had checked the hole placement for the screws. I didn't. After it was painted AND lacquered, I realized I needed to drill new holes and patch the old ones. What a disaster. I finished it yesterday and achieved the look I was hoping for. Here's a pic of Soren's freshly painted dresser and a pic of the inspiration dresser at Pottery Barn Kids...






2 comments:

weesie said...

I'm glad I was able to make it :)
Baaka Baaka

Suzi said...

Yeah!!! Something new to read and with pictures too. :) Thanks for the update. It's lonely w/o a new Brown adventure to read about.~
One day you'll get it. It's an old people thing..