Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Utterly Disgusting...

One night, about a year ago (shortly after we moved in), I got up from the couch and headed to bed. I didn't need to turn on the light, as I had already put my jammies on and washed my face and brushed my teeth. I went to jump in, when I saw a shadow of something on my pillow. I had a hunch at what it was...but didn't really think it could be real...so I turned on the light to disprove my prediction. Unfortunately, my prediction was right. Every hair on my body stood erect as I screamed for Adam to come save me from the peril that lay still before me.

THIS is what I saw (wasn't this big, but close)....

I couldn't believe my eyes! I was, for lack of a better word, flabbergasted! I had NEVER seen such a thing in "person" and didn't think that they existed anywhere near our neck of the woods. Mammoth moths, lizards, and now giant millipedes!!?? I had NO idea HOW it had gotten into our house or HOW it had gotten on top of my PILLOW! Ew, ew, EW!!

Anyway, I hadn't seen one since...until today. Even though I haven't been feeling well, and feel even worse today, I decided that my carpet was in desperate need of a quick vacuum. In one of the many corners of my house I found what looked to be a pile of dead bugs under a spiderweb. It WAS a pile of dead bugs, but there was no spiderweb to be found. Not one, but TWO of these dead bugs were small millipedes! Yuck! Yuck! YUCK!! Ugh...gives me chills every time I think of it.

Apparently, they are quite harmless...but I don't care...they are gross.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shortly after we moved into our home about 2 years ago I also had one of these pleasant visitors. Luckily, it was in the living room and not my bed. At that time there were many mini millipedes but the HUGE one was disgusting. Since then I haven't seen another big one and most of the small ones have been outside... thank goodness!

~Danna~

Anonymous said...

gross. That is crazy!! I didn't know they lived around here!
Jessica

Unknown said...

keeping the cat in the house might quell these little "buggers" as, most likely, the cat will eat them. At the very least spraying around the foundation or where the wall meets the floor might help. Lemon juice works against ants, maybe it will work against yucky, crawly bugs too?