Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day

Unfortunately for Adam, I didn't have anything special planned for Father's Day this year. I didn't even make special dinner plans! The week before, the kids spilled the beans on his gift, so even that wasn't a surprise. So, while stacking wood the day before, I asked him if he wanted to do anything special. Later, he told me he thought it would be fun if we all went to the movies. I was a bit hesitant at first because Soren had never been to the theater and Synnove's first experience ended with her getting quite antsy. But, I looked up the movie schedule anyway. I saw that the new Disney Pixar movie "Up" was playing...so we planned for that.

On Sunday morning, my mom called to see if we wanted to have an early dinner at her house since my dad had to go to work. We agreed and later invited them to go to the movies with us. Dad couldn't go cause he had to get some sleep before work, so it was just Mom, Henry, and us.

Because of the weird scheduling of the day, we opted to skip church and spend a relaxing morning together as a family. It takes us almost 40 minutes to get to church on Sundays, and by the time we would have gotten out of service, the movie would have been started already. ANYway, Synnove was very excited to go to the movies and wanted to get all dressed up. She put on the little dress her daddy got her when he was on a business trip in Georgia, a pink boa, a long silver beaded necklace, a little sun hat that she got from the state fair a couple of years ago, and her little fancy purse that she had for Weesie's wedding. Her hat kept blowing off when we got there, so she left it in the car. But everything else made it into the theater.

When we got inside, the previews had already started, so we didn't really get to prep Soren for what was to come. He wasn't too sure about the whole thing and was grumpy throughout the first 3/4 of the movie (until he sat on Grandma's lap). He just sat quietly on Daddy's lap watching intently, and refusing all offers for popcorn. Of course, he didn't refuse the Junior Mints. The movie was absolutely one of the best, if not THE best, Disney animated flicks I had ever seen (and no, I haven't seen them all). Go see it, I guarantee you will love it...it appeals to ALL audiences.

After that, we all met Dad and Elise at my parents' house for a salmon dinner and actually made it home before bed time! Ahh...what a great day.

No comments: