Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Valentine's Day to Remember

Valentine's Day started bright and early Saturday morning. I was set to leave for downtown Portland at 10 to attend a fancy "high tea" at the Heathman Hotel for my sis-in-law's 27th birthday. I was excited to go, but nervous for the trip. The car had been acting weird the day before, I was scared to drive downtown scary Portland by myself, and I was on a time crunch and needed to be back home by 4:30 at the latest. To ease some of my nerves, Adam kindly took the car in for a check-up and lube at 8:30 that morning. In the meantime, I got ready, printed directions off Mapquest, and said a few prayers for a safe and successful journey. Adam arrived back home about 5 minutes before I had to leave, and I was off.

It was a beautiful day, so that made driving much easier. And God heard my prayers because I made it into downtown without any major freak-outs and actually found a parking garage right across the street! I walked into the hotel at exactly 11:59...one minute to spare.

The tea was an intimate affair with just me, Faith, Patty, and Faith's life-long friend Melissa. Melissa's birthday was on the 12th, and her and Faith are only 2 days apart in age. At the tea I learned that they even shared their 1st birthday together =) The tea was very very fancy. We each got our own pot of loose-leaf tea in whatever flavor we wanted, and we each got to partake in a mountain of yummy treats. There were lots of flavors...deviled eggs, cucumber/watercress sandwiches, black currant scones, marscapone cheese spread, mini chicken salad pitas, salmon puffs, goat cheese with chives, devil's food cupcakes, homemade marshmallows, lemon bars, etc. It was purely divine. Of course, it all came with a hefty price tag...but it was a lovely time and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.


We took our time visiting and exchanging gifts. Were there for over 2 hours. I left in a rush because I had to be home to see off Adam and Synnove for their Valentine's date. I sort of took a roundabout way trying to get out of downtown and finding I-5...but, again, I made it out with little panic. Hooray!! Below, Faith and Melissa make a birthday wish...



I got home just in time to help Synnove finish getting ready for the Father-Daughter Valentine Dance that was taking place at the Elk's Lodge in Astoria. Synnove was also very excited to be double-dating with Uncle Don and Heidi. They all had plans to eat dinner at the Pig 'n Pancake before-hand. On the day before, I had picked up an adorable pink carnation mini-corsage and Valentine's Day box/purse filled with lip gloss and pink heart tissues. She was set!

Adam said that they all had a smashing time. I guess it was a packed house, as usual. Don has been taking Heidi ever since she was Synnove's age. They didn't get home till 9:30, and I could tell that Synnove had a wonderful evening. She brought home a red carnation, balloons, and a priceless photo/memento. I would scan it in, but the photo is a bit dark.


So, Adam and I didn't get to spend Valentine's Day together, but it's likely the most memorable and special Valentine's Day we have ever had.

No comments: