Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Synnove's 1st Dentist Visit...and More

So, Synnove went to the dentist today. I had slacked in making an appointment for her, as I hadn't been in a couple of years and hadn't established myself with a dentist in the area yet. Back when I was in college, the dentist that I had had since I was 5 decided to take an early retirement. I was pretty bummed cause he always made my dental visits painless and fairly enjoyable. Yes, I actually liked going to the dentist! It wasn't until I went to the dentist a couple of years ago in Hillsboro that I became quite afraid of the dentist. Granted, I wasn't up on my cleanings/check-ups...it had been a handful of years...so, I was prepared to get some fillings and expected some discomfort. Anyway, I ended up with a crown (long story on that one...has to do with the braces I had for 9 years) and had a horribly painful experience that lasted for weeks. I recall the dentist and his assistant basically telling me I was a wimp and that I must have extremely sensitive teeth....all as tears are streaming down my face. This is all after he ground my tooth to a tiny nub and placed a permanent crown without any Novocaine. ANYway, my crown started to hurt a couple of weeks ago, so I decided to make an appointment with a dentist.

When I moved back into town I had heard that Dr. Smith (my childhood dentist) had returned from his retirement and set up shop back in Astoria! Hooray! He's kind of a goofy guy, but always takes great care in making sure his patients are comfortable and pain-free. I made an appointment for myself, and also for Synnove. I went a couple of weeks ago and told Synnove that she was gonna go too. She was so excited to get a bag of goodies (floss, toothbrush, etc.). Last night, however, she had a hard time getting to sleep as she was a little nervous for her upcoming appointment.

This morning, even though her appointment wasn't till noon, she had her toothbrush all ready and couldn't wait to go. I took my time getting ready this morning and did a few chores. It was 10 minutes before we were to leave and I went downstairs to gather the kids from playing. Both Soren's and Synnove's mouths were covered in marker!!! I couldn't believe it! Just before going to the dentist, of all places, the kids decide to paint their mouths...inside and out! The marker was semi-washable and I tried to get the remaining with a bit of rubbing alcohol with no luck. So, she went to the dentist with remnants of red marker on her lips.

Dad watched Soren and Synnove and I headed to see Dr. Smith. The hygienist was awesome (same one I had)...so gentle and sweet with Synnove. Synnove was a bit shy and non-responsive (as I expected), but there were no freak-outs and she did very well! The only difficulty she had was that she kept scooting off the side of the chair (moving away from the "scary" tools) and the hygienist had to ask her to scoot back probably 4 different times.

Synnove and Sandy, the hygienist

When we got home, she was so excited to start using her bag of goodies. I let her go in the bathroom and use the different things. As she did that, I went downstairs to write an email. I then went upstairs to find that both of the kids had painted their fingernails! Ugh! I don't know how many times I have told Synnove that she is not allowed to paint her own nails. First, marker lipstick, then gobbed-up fingernails. Oh, toddlerhood...

Soren's freshly manicured hands

No comments: