Thursday, March 19, 2009

There's a Bee in My Bed!

Two nights ago Soren awoke at around 11:30 crying and scared. I went downstairs to find him shaking and telling me that there was a bee in his bed. He was convinced there was one under the covers and we searched to find nothing. Obviously, he was having a bad dream and I assured him that there were no bees in his room. I laid him back in bed and used a different blanket because he was scared of the other. He didn't say anything...and I could tell he was mentally trying not to be afraid. I gave him his water and made sure he had his "Tigger-Pooh"....I didn't think anything else would come of it and went back up to bed. I listened to the monitor as I lay in bed...heard nothing...and quickly fell asleep. At 5AM I sort of woke up to the sound of one of my kids. It was strange because the sound didn't seem to come through the monitor. I got up to see if one of the kids was in the living room on the couch or something, but found nobody. I convinced myself I was just dreaming and went back to bed. 2 minutes later I hear a cough...not through the monitor. This time I was sure there was a child not in his/her room, so I got up for a more thorough investigation. I looked down the staircase from upstairs and found Soren laying on the bottom two steps with his taggie. He was asleep and quite cold. I ran down and gently picked him up. He disorientedly told me about the bee and I took him to bed with me. He was back to sleep in an instant and I spent the next hour trying to warm his icy feet on my leg. He slept till 9:30. When he woke I told him to put his taggie back in his bed. He returned from his room and, again, told me about the bee. We did another quick search in his room...found nothing. I had an appointment, and we had to get going. I dropped the kids off with my dad and went to get my hair cut. When I came back, I told my dad the Bee story. Dad told me that one of the first things Soren said to him that morning was..."there's a bee in my bed and it bit me!" He really was convinced there was a bee...and maybe there was?? I took the kids home and put them down for nap. I knew it would be interesting trying to get Soren to sleep...but I was determined. I had a headache and was tired myself...I wanted to take a nap too! I opened his blinds and lay with him a while. He was still very scared. He wouldn't even put a blanket on. He was trying SO hard not to be scared and spoke in a quiet voice and was all scrunched up in a ball at the very top of his bed. We talked and I assured him that Jesus would take care of him and that there was NO bee. I told him I was gonna go upstairs to take a nap...and in the quietest little "guckie"-filled voice he said, "don't leave me..." So, I took a nap on his bed with him...I slept...he didn't...but he didn't make a sound. Last night when it was time for bed, he seemed prepared to sleep. We read a couple of books, and had a talk about the bee. He was still apprehensive, but our discussion seemed to calm him down. I even asked him if I could turn his little lamp off and, after some convincing on my part, he said it was OK. Before the prayer, I had told him that I was gonna go upstairs and sleep in my own bed and that he was going to be just fine. We prayed, and right afterwards he said "now leave..." I left and he slept all the way through the night without a sound. Now, maybe this story doesn't properly portray the bravery of such a little soul for the typical reader....and that's OK. But this mommy is quite proud of her boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the boat is ready (actually both boats) so first chance we get Novie girl and Hoggie man and hopefully Adam and I can get them on coffenbary to catch a trout. Love dad