Friday, March 27, 2009

Play Dough and My 1st Compressed Video!

I have this book called The Preschooler's Busy Book that I've had since I taught preschool 6 years ago and I don't think I've gotten it out since. It has several different dough recipes, and I tried one yesterday. I didn't have all the ingredients of any of the others, so it was my only option. It turned out to be quite stiff, but the kids still enjoyed it. I got out the big bag of cookie cutters I scored at the Goodwill Outlet back when Synnove was still a baby and they made a bunch of fun shapes.

What I found after I got out of the shower...


That afternoon I went to the store to pick up some ingredients to make a couple of the other recipes. The kids BEGGED to play with dough this morning, so I cooked up a batch and the kids had a blast!

Here's the recipe I used:
1/2 cup of salt
2 cups water
use tempera, kool aid, or food coloring (if desired)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons alum
4 cups sifted flour

Directions: Heat water and salt on the stove till salt is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients. Mix/knead till it's ready to play with. It's supposed to last up to 2 months in a sealed container.

I've finally learned how to compress video files! I just downloaded Microsoft Media Encoder and shrunk it to VHS quality. The entire process of uploading to Blogger still took a while (around 12 minutes)...even though I shrunk it down to around 5 megs. So, here's a snippet of our morning!


No comments: