Friday, June 4, 2010

Muddy Memorial

The Pacific Northwest is such a wonderful place to live. We've got most everything here, including sun. However, it doesn't come around much...and it was certainly absent for most of Memorial weekend. As usual, we've been looking forward to camping season ever since camping season was over. Synnove has been talking about it since at least January. The weather is always somewhat of an issue. It used to be even more of an issue when we were tent campers. But still, the rain has never kept us away from the campfire.

As most of you know, I'm quite the motivator for everyone else when it comes to camping. I use every possible tactic to ensure their arrival...and rely heavily on guilt. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but at least they know we WANT them there...right? It's great to be somewhat relieved of these "duties" as the Wilson's are now just as gung-ho as I am...just more polite about it =) It's a good thing too because I caught a bad chest cold a mere two days before we were set to head out. I wasn't miserable...but almost. I had hoped that my at home remedies were going to help me escape the bug faster. They didn't work too well. Still, I tried my best to push through the packing and getting ready. The rain only dampened my desire to do much of anything but lay on the couch. So, that's what I did.

We had high hopes that the Mitsubishi would be finished enough for us to be able to cart the kids' 4-wheeler, but the weather never improved enough for Adam to be able to paint it. So, we hauled the little 4-wheeler in the Civic. Yes...I said "the Civic." We had to move the spare tire, so when it was finally in, it sat cock-eyed. Without noticing before it was too late, gas started leaking all over. I could barely breath to begin with...add a bunch of gasoline fumes to the mix, and I was on the verge of passing out on the way there. Even with the window rolled down with my head partially out in the pouring rain, I could not get clean air. I pulled over; Adam fixed the leak. Still, the smell was unbearable and so I continued to drive with my head out the window. If I wasn't miserable before, I was certainly miserable then.

Throughout the evening, people slowly trickled in. I spent much of my time dilly-dallying in the trailer and helping Adam try to get the refrigerator to work. After much trial and error, it finally fired up. We put the kids to bed fairly early for a camping evening, and I stayed in the trailer while they settled down. Synnove finally fell asleep, and then Soren started to complain about his stomach hurting. Great. He was acting strange and seemed to be in a lot of pain, so I quickly went out to get my mom who has experience with both hernias and appendicitis's'. I thought it could be painful gas, but Soren's pain seemed to be getting worse. So, at about 10:30, Adam and I headed to the ER...at least a 25 minute drive. Fortunately, Soren settled down during the drive, and we headed back to camp. Phew! He went to sleep and his tummy only hurt a little in the morning. Gas.

Saturday started out with our usual "cowboy breakfast" on a brand new giant fire grill/grate courtesy of Uncle Don.

The day was virtually rain-free. We ended it with delicious steamed oysters from Darrell and Jodie and mouth-watering chicken fajitas from Lori and Ed. We ate good that night...then again, we always do.


Doug brought lawn golf, and many played throughout the weekend...but none better than Taylor and Bronson! Below, the Holthusen's dog "Spicy" dug for at least an hour! She was intent on catching something, but we stopped her before she could actually get anything.


The discovery of the giant marshmallow played a large role in nightly campfire routine. Below, Synnove is trying her best to get her half-roasted marshmallow off of her hand. She tried for quite some time...

...It was funny until it flew across the fire and onto my pants...(see it stuck to my knee)


Sunday it rained. It was a bearable rain, but still rain. The kids weren't too phased by it, and always found a way to have fun. They did get to watch a movie in the Wilson's giant trailer though!
While the kids watched a movie, and while Adam was at the house taking care of the animals, I popped a couple of Sudafed and felt good enough to go on a couple of rides with Weesie. Her new 4-wheeler is awesome...even though we got stuck.

Sunday night was the big pit BBQ. Stephanie and Wes braved the weather and came out for a couple of hours. Tay was soaked to the bone by the time they left. The meat was awesome! We stuffed ourselves beyond capacity and indulged in Auntie Jeanne's version of peanut butter bon-bons and Wesley's scotcheroos.
Brielle is only 2 months old! She's a trooper =)
Noodle fight!




I don't know who this guy is...

Monday morning, the Holthusen's left early. We found out later that they had a blow-out on the Meagler Bridge and had to limp across. I guess they did some damage to the trailer. The rest of us enjoyed cowboy breakfast with Lori's homemade biscuits and gravy! Yummy!!

Then, we all packed up and prayed that our trailers would make it up the incredibly muddy road. A couple of vehicles didn't make it and had to stay until it dried out a bit. A couple of days later, Dad went back to help Doug flip the axles on his new toy hauler to that they would make it out OK!

By the time we got home, the sun was shining, and I was feeling well enough to mow the lawn. Figures.

2 comments:

Suzi said...

The weather may have been bad...but the company was First Class!! Looking forward to our next trip and Doug's version of "the amazing race".. :)

weesie said...

I very much enjoy our camping adventures..I can't wait to be apart of it to the fullest someday! :)
And your blogging is absolutely halarious sissy...I'm sorry the thought of you, grumpy, sick, head ache drivin from fumes sticking your head out the window! HAHAHA I love you