Monday, June 14, 2010

Goonie Reunion

My friend Gina started planning for this reunion well over a year ago. At the 20-year, she even got Sean Astin to come for a visit in the middle of his Lord of the Rings fame. This year, she had lots planned and Goonie fans came from around the world (yes...I said "world") to come to our podunk Astoria. To come to the events, you had to purchase tickets at the "Goon Docks" down by my sister's coffee shop. On Saturday, there were so many fans down there that my sister ran out of ice cream! It was a great success for Astoria's economy!

Anyway, I bought tickets for the premiere of the movie, and documentary. I'm as much of a Goonie fan as anyone, but wasn't bursting out of my skin to be there. I bought tickets at the last minute, thinking that it would be fun date for Adam and I. I was running late, and my mom had reported that people were already lining up at the theater at least an hour and a half before the doors were to open. Frantically, we met up with my sis and mom downtown and they took the kids for the night. We ended up being two of about 30 people waiting at the front of the line...woo hoo!!

While waiting, we got to see Gina and Adam snapped a picture...she's the real star, in my opinion!

It was really fun to observe all the Goonie-crazed fans. Several dressed up in pirate attire, or decorated their cars. There were camera crews there, including Channel 8 News. It was fun to watch the reporter do several takes of her report...she was actually kinda funny with those of us watching and made jokes about herself...and her hairbrush :)



When the "stars" came out, the fans were very excited, but subdued. We all waited in anticipation for them to get to us at the front of the line, but they all got stopped in the middle for interviews and handshakes.

Below is Curt Hanson (Mr. Perkins) and Jeff Cohen (Chunk)

Below is Joe Pantoliano (Francis Fratelli) and his daughter (behind him in the pink shirt)

Chunk loved the attention.
Once in the theater, the mayor, senator Betsy Johnson, and all the cast members that were there got up to speak. I was surprised at how genuinely grateful they all were that we were there. It was really fun and I'm so glad that we went. For more info and photos from the entire event go to http://goonies25thanniversary.com/





1 comment:

Suzi said...

I gotta say, out of all the events that Astoria hosts, this event had the best fans. They were clean, polite, patient, good people. We'd love to have them back! Gina did an exceptional job. It was a fabulous event ALL Around!!