Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hawaii Day and Graduation

It's hard to believe, but the preschool year is over. And yes, I'm a bit sad. I loved Synnove's preschool. So very much has happened since she has started there! Not only has she leaned a great deal, but she and I have gained some wonderful friendships. In the last month the kids have gone on several field trips and have done many activities. In fact, there were so many that I decided not to try to catch up the blog with pictures. I figure Soren will be there for the next two years, and I'll have many more opportunities to blog in the future. However, last week was super special because it was the last week of school!

Miss Kara planned a Hawaii Day for the last day of school complete with hula dancing, coconut bowling, Hawaii "surprise" (plaster of paris with shells, sand, glitter, and glass stones), Hawaiian pizza, and pineapple smoothies (thanks Cassie!). All the kids dressed up in their best Hawaiian attire and they even got to make paper leis. All the parents were invited to come for the second half of the day to celebrate with the kids.

The kids were split up into groups to go to different stations. This is the hula station. Unfortunately, the CD player stopped working and they had to improvise the music.
It's really hard to get Synnove to smile...

On Thursday night, the kids were set to graduate. Miss Kara does such an incredible job with the kids! The program was priceless! Normally, I wouldn't put the entire event on videotape...but I did. The kids performed with big voices and hand motions. They sang various songs including This Little Light of Mine and Lord I Lift Your Name on High. Each one of the 24 graduating preschoolers (2 classes) memorized different verses from the Bible and recited them individually in the microphone. They had been practicing for a few weeks, and the practice paid off. Even Daisy, the shyest student in Synnove's class, said her verse. All of the kids have come such a long way since the beginning of the year.
Each student was presented with a certificate and their very own Adventure Bible. They also got to take home their cap and tassel (Knappa colors, of course). Synnove has since hung her tassel next to mommy's above the TV.
I had a few pictures, but many were blurry. I'm still using my old camera, and have decided to live with it until I save enough money to purchase a "fancy" one. Uncle Don came to the graduation and took some pictures of the program...but I still haven't asked him for them yet. I only have a couple of shots of the kids getting ready...
Synnove, Carlie, Grace, and Cody


Pre-Program-Pep-Talk

2 comments:

Suzi said...

That was an extra special graduation. One, I am sure, they won't ever forget. Each did a perfect job. Miss Kara is a fabulous teacher!!:) I am so glad we were able to be there!!

weesie said...

Priceless...all the grads in the picture..very cute