Saturday, August 8, 2009

Some Alone Time with Synnove

There are many times during each day when I just stop to admire my children. The little things they do that are often remarkable to me. I don't know how so many people can leave their kids to go to work each day. I know, there are many days that I say that I wish I could...but then I wouldn't get so see all their precious little moments.
Before Soren was born, Synnove was very good at playing on her own. She could sit and keep herself busy for quite sometime. When Soren came she got a playmate. They are very rarely apart. But, this evening the boys and girls of the family made separate plans. Adam took Soren with him in the Montero to have dinner at my Mom and Dad's, while Synnove and I had a dinner date with Aunt Alice and Fi Fi. Soren has never gotten to ride in the Montero with Daddy in the car seat...and since Adam took the back seat out, he gets to ride in the front. As I waved goodbye, he looked to be on top of the world...all smiles, sitting in the front with Daddy. They made "big" plans to do some "man" things before heading off to Warrenton. It was adorable.
Synnove and I didn't have far to travel, as we were going to the Mexican restaurant down the road, so we got back with much time to spare before bed. Synnove wanted to play on her "computer" (Leap Frog), so I went on the computer myself (still here, obviously). After a little while, Synnove decided that she was done with her computer, so she turned off the TV. I decided I was gonna finish up browsing Etsy.com and find something to do with my little girl since Soren wasn't here. Of course, it took me longer to "finish up" than planned. Hey...YOU try going to Etsy and see if YOU can finish up quickly! Anyway, Synnove didn't really care that I wasn't getting off the computer and immediately dove into playing with her babies. She was talking to them, strolling them around in her double stroller (thank you Fi Fi) and feeding them. For a moment, I just stopped to watch her. She wasn't doing anything special, but she was laying out fancy plates and cutting up toy pizza for her babies. I loved listening to her talk to them, and telling them what she was going to do next. They finished up "eating" and she put them back into the stroller taking much time trying to buckle them in properly. Normally, she would just get frustrated and quit trying...or ask me to do it. Instead, she took her time and figured it out on her own. Then, she asked me to tie on her apron "like Mary Poppins." I asked her, "do you remember that Grandma Barbara made this for you?" She said, "oh yes, that Grandma is so nice, I love this apron like Mary Poppins...she's so cute (referring to Grandma)!" Now she has her music going and is dressing up her babies in fun clothes. I'm now the audience of a fabulous fashion show with dancing!
Synnove and her baby Sept. 2006


Synnove with that "Cute Grandma" Mother's Day 2005




I know, no big deal...but there are times when I just want to savor my mom-hood. Watching Synnove play on her own is a rare treat.

(AGAIN, Blogger is being dumb and won't let me put spaces between paragraphs!!)

1 comment:

Suzi said...

I am so glad that you have the presence of mind to pause. Moments like the one you describe are easily missed. The everydayness of life can lull us to sleep, so to speak. We can focus on the fact that her bed wasn't made or some other task was left undone and miss the sweet depth of the moment, like you described. I remember those moments when you and your siblings were young. The dearness of them would be so deep it would stir an ache inside I can't explain. It still does after all these years. I am so pleased that you decided to commit yourself to staying home and applying yourself to the full time job kids and home are. Those moments are gifts wrapped special for you. They beat any corporate bonus hands down. You are one of my corporate bonus's and I am so proud of you!