Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Soren's 5th Birthday Party

Oh how I love throwing birthday parties for my kids! Although, it will be sad when they no longer want family parties anymore and they only want their friends over. Family parties are a fun and relaxing time that everyone seems to enjoy. Like many of Soren's birthdays, this one was was quieter than usual. Many folks were hunting in Eastern Oregon, but we still had over 25 people come to celebrate.

Soren chose a Candyland theme this year. He's been a bit obsessed with Candyland since last winter when I did a Google search on how long the game had been around and found a blog on it. He became very interested in all of the different versions of the game that have been made over the last many years. We found one at Goodwill a while back and Soren enjoyed discovering and sharing the differences between that one and the one we already had. For a while, it seemed to be all we heard about! He loves playing Candyland, and he loves winning...but most of all I think he loves talking about he game characters. Anyway, he chose his theme a few months ago and I was having a very difficult time finding party supplies online. Most of the Candyland themed supplies I found were homemade. I ordered stuff here and there when I found it over the period of a couple of months. Then, about 3 weeks before the party, I was happily surprised when I found a company that had some commercialized supplies!

The party turned out great. Soren wasn't too optimistic that any kids were going to be there, so he was surprised when Alice, Cash, Faith, and little Khol were there to pass favor boxes to. Soren also received some fantastic gifts...and I think all of them were hits!


I couldn't believe it when Aunt Suzi showed up with this gift. Soren had actually asked for this type of ball when Suzi asked him what he wanted at Elise's baby shower. I didn't think he had ever seen one before...so I wasn't sure he even knew what he was talking about. Well, Aunt Suzi found one...he loves it!

I had found a Candyland beach towel complete with game pieces and water-resistant cards on Ebay. He thought that was pretty cool.

I found a lady on Ebay that made personalized cake toppers. Because of some miscommunication, I actually ended up having to buy two of them. At least I had a back-up in case one tore...I guess...*sigh* Soren really loved his cake this year...as I was decorating it with candies he said "this is going to be a really good cake mom!"


Soren ended up with 4 dart guns and they were a source of great entertainment for kids young and old!


Enjoying playing some Rock 'em Sock 'em by...himself?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks supper fun!
We are sad to have missed it to have missed the entire summer of events with you guys. Nice job on the party and cake. Missing you all!
~Jessica