Friday, April 8, 2011

Heaven is for REAL!

**I apologize...blogger has AGAIN smooshed my post together into one big paragraph. I've tried to fix it with several edits and reposts...but it's not happening.** My Christian walk started at a very young age...I still recall, at age 5, asking Jesus to become my savior. It was at VBS, and quite frankly, I didn't fully know what I was asking...but God has a way of giving us the knowledge we need to move forward in our walk with him. Well, I've moved forward. I've finally reached a point in my walk with Jesus, that I can say wholeheartedly..."I'm going to heaven!" I thank God for my life, my upbringing, my country, my family. I'm so completely blessed. In the last couple of weeks, I've had a heavy heart. I can't help but think about our world, and how completely lost so many people are. I don't claim to have all the answers, and it is certainly not my purpose to place judgement. Last Sunday, during our church home fellowship group study, a very familiar Bible passage came up in our discussion, and 4 words have been resonating over and over in my mind ever since. Here's an excerpt from the passage... "...Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 "Do not be deceived"...4 words that our world needs to hear. I've heard it said before, and have almost been fooled into believing it myself..."well, I'm generally a good person, and that's good enough for me to get into heaven." Society has become so desensitised to sin that people are being tricked into thinking that their sin is okay. We've also made enemies of one another through misconception and confusion. Understandably so...considering the freedom we have to conjure up and announce our own non-biblical ideas, religions, and beliefs. There are so many words in our language that have lost their true meaning, and we have lost our ability to be respectful listeners. Words like tolerance, prejudice, acceptance, judgement...even compassion. Christians have been given a bad reputation by those who claim to be Christian. And what is a Christian? Well, I believe it to be a born-again follower of Jesus Christ who diligently pursues a life as it is defined by the holy Word of God (Bible). And just because Christians are pursuing a holy life doesn't make them perfect. Non-Christians are constantly looking for Christians to fail so that they can feel more justified in their own sin. Really, the only difference between the Christian and the non-Christian is Jesus. Accepting him as your savior frees you from sin and gives you entry into heaven. And once you truly accept him, he will begin to change you, convict you, and use you for his purpose. At the same time, your life will be blessed. I dunno...as I said before, I don't claim to have all the answers and it is not my intention to create controversy. All I know is that I've felt convicted by the Holy Spirit to share the above passage from 1 Corinthians. As I've grown in my relationship with Christ, I've gained a bit more boldness. Bottom line...we were all put on this earth to recruit all people for heaven. With that said, I encourage you to read this book:
I've read a handful of books on heaven and hell, and this one, because it is from the perspective of a child, is by far the best I've read. It's a quick and easy read, and is appropriate for all ages and all walks of life. I can say with all certainty that if you are even open to the "idea" of heaven then you will not be able to put this book down. It is hands-down incredible! I've already shared it with my family and many of my friends and most were able to read it in a day or two. One of my friends even shared it with her 11-year-old son who read it within 24 hours! This book is hope, and I "hope" you read it! I picked my copy up at Costco for less than $9...it's also available on Amazon HERE.

Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. John 3:3

3 comments:

Suzi said...

Well said! Thanks for the reminder and reality check :)

weesie said...

amen. thank you for the verse

Jamie said...

This is a great post Nicole! A perfect read for me on Easter while the kids nap. :) I think it was you that told me to read this book after I posted a comment about it on my blog. I did read it and have had 3 family members read it too. Great book and yes a very quick read. Honestly on days I feel like I'm in a funk and have a rebellious attitude and don't "feel" like being a good person I think of the passage about their daughter waiting in heaven for them. That's enough to bring me to my senses and straighten out my bad attitude, not to mention bring a tear to my eyes!
I want to always feel confident I am going to heaven and living a life as Christ like as possible. For all I know I have a daughter waiting for me there as well! :)
Happy Easter! Thank you God for sending your son to die for us and then raising Him from the dead to join You in heaven!