Monday, October 4, 2010

A Rough Week for Soren

I think I've cried more times in the last week than I have in the last year. I've had many reminders this week of how blessed I am. That, mixed with varying unfortunate events, has put me close to my limit. When it rains, it pours...right? Well, for my little Soren boy last week, that little statement is quite true.

Last Saturday (the 25th), Adam wanted to surprise the kids with a trip to the Enchanted Forest in Salem. It was supposed to be a beautiful day, and when we left our home, the sun was already beaming. We didn't tell the kids where we were going, and Synnove just couldn't stop asking questions....she was excited! About 20 minutes into our 3 hour drive we got into a car accident. I'm going to save the details of that little event for a later blog. Unfortunately, Soren got the brunt of it and won himself an ambulance ride to Longview. He got the works...an IV, a CT, at least an hour of glass removal, and 11 stitches. I thank God for my husband, as he is usually the better "mom" in situations like these. He rode with him in the ambulance and kept him in good spirits throughout the afternoon while they poked and prodded.


Soren is such a brave little boy. The doctors were so impressed with his ability to stay calm and sit still throughout the entire procedure. As I've said before, Soren is sooo reasonable, flexible, and trusting. He was very quiet on the ride home, but perked up a bit when we arrived. And, despite the scary morning, he slept soundly through the night with his special bear from the hospital.

The next day Soren was doing well. We put him to bed...and with some snuggling, he fell asleep. I was worried about the kids having nightmares from the accident (Synnove was a bit affected), so my ears were sensitive to sounds coming from their rooms. At about 2:30 AM Soren woke with a tummy ache and ended up with the throw-ups all through the day until the next evening. And, in typical Soren fashion, he was a trooper...AND, always landed in the bucket :) Still, I was heartbroken for my boy and was on my knees throughout the day pleading with God to end the misery. From severe headache to severe tummy ache...what next??
Sick on the couch with his new buddy from the church ladies at the hospital...he named him "Lightning 'the' Queen"

It actually took him a couple of days to recover from his sickness. He was well on Tuesday, but still not 100%. He was very nervous to get his stitches out on Thursday. He doesn't say much these days...but I could see it on his face. I assured him all would be well, and it was. He sat completely still and only shed a single, silent tear when the doctor had to tug a bit on a scabbed up stitch.

That afternoon, the sun was out and it was actually warm enough for the kids to play in their swimsuits. It was just the remedy we all needed for a rough-week-pick-me-up! The kids played while I mowed the lawn and Adam mowed the field. Normalcy...it felt great.


The next few days were busy. I was doing a lot of running around, and we were all battling a bit of a cold...Synnove was the worst...lots of coughing. On Saturday, Synnove was sick with a touch of what Soren had. But, thankfully, it wasn't bad enough for her to want to lay on the couch. She didn't have much of an appetite, but that was about it.

In order to start his IV in the ambulance, the medic had to cut his shirt off...Soren was sad about that. I found an exact replacement on Ebay in a size larger...we got it in the mail on Saturday.

Yesterday, we celebrated Soren's birthday (he's turning 4 tomorrow!), and both kids were relatively healthy. Adam and I put the kids to bed and settled into watching SNL on the DVR. We had to keep hitting the pause button to make sure Soren was OK...as he was doing a lot of coughing...and then whining. I went down to get him to see what I could do to make him feel better. He wasn't well. He was having a hard time breathing and his coughing was making him gag. Then, as if that wasn't enough to end the horrid week, he was also crying in pain. Growing pains...severe growing pains. We stuffed him with medicine...cold medicine, Tylenol, and applied some Vick's vaporub. Then, while he sat in Adam's lap watching Oobi, I massaged his aching legs.

I'm praying for a better week this week!

6 comments:

Colie said...

Poor guy! What a hard week Nicole! I'm praying this one is much better.

weesie said...

Love my Soren boy.
*kisses

Ann Ornie said...

Good Lord! Thanks for letting us know! You're such a good writer.
-Ann

Brian, Stacey and Shelby said...

Bless your little boy. So sad...

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! I'm just now reading this, and am so relieved everyone is safe. How scary! What a brave little guy Soren is. And what a great God we serve!

Suzi said...

When I asked him about the accident he told me that the man who hit him was sorry and that he didn't mean to hit him... Such an amazingly big boy... sweet, sweet soul..he is.