Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Six

She's my big helper, she's already growing out of the clothes I bought her in the fall, she's got 2-3 loose teeth, she loves to read to me, she can ride her bike like a pro, and she just turned SIX!

In the last few months Synnove has turned into quite the school girl. She seems to do well with her "studies" and often comes home to tell me about what she's learned. It's weird for me to have a daughter in school for six hours each day. I know that her innocence will start to deteriorate, and the thought makes me sad. I'm looking forward to Soren going to kindergarten so that I can help out in the classroom and be a part of their school lives. So far, Synnove has done well and has made good friends. I pray this continues.

ANYway, Synnove had her big party on the 23rd (actual birthday is the 27th) because Adam was going to be leaving for Georgia the next weekend. As usual, we had lots of guests and had a great time. I served tacos and the yummiest red velvet cupcakes anyone has ever eaten!! I took a week-long break on my diet for those babies! I surprised Synnove with her very own cake (she thought she was getting a cupcake and didn't know how the candles would fit) and she very timidly blew out her candles. She was shy and nervous to open her gifts in front of the guests, but so excited that she didn't even eat lunch.


On her actual birthday, Grandma surprised her by coming over to give her a sewing lesson. She actually got her little toy sewing machine over a year ago at Christmas, but I told her she had to save it till she was six. Quite frankly, I'm a novice sew-er and I wasn't keen on teaching her how to do it and was happy my mom volunteered. Synnove had been talking about it for weeks because she knew that her sixth birthday was coming soon. Synnove was elated when Grandma pulled into the driveway and told her to get her sewing machine out. Synnove thoroughly enjoyed herself and did very well with her stitching. Their time was cut short when we got word that Great Grandma had just passed.


On the weekend after her birthday, I planned to have a few of Synnove's friends over for a "glorified playdate." Synnove didn't know her friends were coming until the last minute, and it was fun to surprise her. That morning, Synnove had a slight stuffy nose and her eye was red. I thought that maybe she was just really tired from spending late evenings at Grandma Barb's house. We had gone to bed very late the last few nights and Synnove slept in till 10:30 that morning! Unfortunately, the "pinkness" wasn't going away. About an hour before her friends were set to come over, I started to panic that she had pink-eye, so I told her she had to wear a gauze patch. She endured it without complaining the entire time, and even wore it that night when we were at Grandma Barb's that evening. Her eye stayed a bit pink for about 2-3 days.

Jena, Brooke, Synnove, Emily, and Grace

I told the parents "no gifts"...but some parents just don't listen :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole!!

I met your brother today at church!! It would be great to see you sometime and your kids :-). I hope you have a super week!

-Kareena