Sunday, February 13, 2011

Saying Goodbye...Twice

It was only two short weeks before her death that my Great Grandma Myrna Backe accepted Jesus into her heart. Saved at the age of 100! Her salvation had been on my mind for quite sometime...I knew that she was afraid to die. My mom was the one who received the nudging from the Lord to visit her one day...January 12th. Just two short weeks later, on January 27th, she went to be with her savior. 100 years on this earth is a long time, and her memory lives on in those she left behind.

Pallbearers (from left to right as shown): Mike Falleur (long-time family friend), Mark Balensifer (Grandson), Wesley Balensifer (Great Grandson), Ron Davis (long-time family friend and neighbor), Rick Davis (long-time family friend and neighbor), and Mike Balensifer (Grandson)
It was a very nice service and an absolutely gorgeous day. Although, being as it was February 1st, it was freezing outside! Though Grandma was very old, she was not forgotten. People came from near and far to say their final goodbyes. We will all miss her, but we are glad she is singing with the angels for eternity.

Great Grandma this last Christmas with her Great-Great Granddaughters, Halle and Tay.

Then, last Thursday, we had to say goodbye to Miss Reese Holland Becker. It's one thing to say goodbye to someone who has lived a long and full life...it's quite another when that someone hasn't even reached 1 year. Reese would have been 5 months old on February 20th. I can't even begin to imagine what my dear friend Shannon and her husband AJ are going through right now. Baby Reese was beautiful, healthy, and happy. I saw the whole family and met Reese for the first time just a couple of weeks ago at Synnove's birthday party. Today, I feel privileged to have been able to hold her and talk to her...what a joy she was! Her life was abruptly ended by SIDS. My heart is breaking for Shannon, AJ, and their son Josh. I wish we still lived in Cornelius so that I could be with her...cry with her, but I know she has lots of very supportive family and friends near her right now.

My Dad got to hold Reese while Synnove opened her gifts...in fact I think he held her for the entire time. She was an angel :)

A picture of Shannon and Josh at Synnove's 5th birthday. Shannon had told me just a few days before that she was just a few weeks pregnant with Reese. I was SO excited to hear she was having another one! Although...the poor girl was feeling quite queasy when this pic was taken...
AJ, Shannon, and Josh at the party a few weeks ago...

We have sent flowers and many messages. I haven't spoken to her, as I know she is being bombarded with calls. I don't know how I would feel if I was her...I don't know that I'd want to answer the phone. Fortunately, the family has been very open with the happenings of the past few days over Facebook. The outpouring of support has been incredible. And I know that the many prayers and kind words have been appreciated. If you remember, pray for them as well...especially on Thursday as they say their final goodbye.
For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

1 comment:

Colie said...

Nicole - praise the Lord for your grandmother's commitment to the Lord! That is such a wonderful thing and a happy farewell.

I can only imagine how your friends are feeling! Loosing a child has to be one of the hardest things to ever go through. I am praying for this family!