Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bye-Bye Explorer...

Monday was a long day. My mom and I decided to take a trip to Portland to do stuff for Weesie's wedding, my dad volunteered to babysit the kids, and Adam was planning a long day at work (corporate audit...yikes!). After a long day of crazy miscommunication, mom and I decided to stay longer in Portland than planned. We didn't start the drive home till around 7:30 so I called Adam to see if he was done with work so he could go pick up the kids so they wouldn't get to bed too late. He had JUST finished work and said he would take the 45 minute drive into Warrenton to pick them up. About a half an hour later I get a call from Adam...he got into an accident and the Explorer was totalled. He sounded OK on the phone, just shook up. Thankfully, he wasn't seriously injured...and it wasn't his fault. I told him to take the trip to the hospital to get checked out because I ended up with a lifetime of headaches because I didn't go to the hospital after my car accident.

I called my sister to see if she was available to meet him at the hospital and stay there till I was able to pick him up. She and Chris happened to be just down the road from the accident and got to see the damage. I guess Adam was over by the Fast Lube in Astoria on 101 just before the roundabout minding his own business and eating some McDonald's when all of a sudden somebody just decided to turn into him! The whole wheel broke off at the axle and rolled down the road, and it seems the whole body is bent. Here's the damage....

Below you can see McDonald's shake, burger, and fries. I guess he was hit so hard that the keys blasted out of the ignition and managed to come off the ring...we still can't find one of them. You can kind of see how the seat is tilted upwards. He was very fortunate to make it out with just case of whiplash.
The tow-guy propped the car up it's axle on top of the broken-off wheel to stabilize it.
He was hit by a Ford Focus by a woman in her mid-20's. Adam doesn't remember, but there could have been up to 4 people in the car...there was at least 2. The cops responded very quickly and the ambulances swept everyone away before Adam could get any information from the other vehicle. We don't know much about the people in the other car...but there were no serious injuries.

While we were waiting for Adam to get out of the ER, Chris was nice enough to take me to get the stuff out of the car and get photos. I guess the girl and her mother met Adam in the waiting room and apologized. Hopefully, the insurance will take care of everything without too many hang-ups.

Thank goodness we bought our little '92 Honda Civic hatchback (gas-saver) a few months ago! Driving the truck everywhere would cost a small fortune! Until we get another car, I'll be spending much of my time at home.

I guess painting the basement will be finished sooner than I had planned =)

6 comments:

Melody C. Bondurant said...

It must be the season for such. Kiely wrecked his car last week as well. At first we thought it was totalled too, but it looks like with a little "home-style" repair (talk about hicks : ) we might be okay. Unfortunately for us, he rear ended the other vehicle. It was a truck that was raised up. Their bumper hit his hood and the trailor hitch went right through the radiator...it was Kiely's first accident so he was certainly shook up as well, but everyone was okay.
Since you don't have a car, we'll have to make sure to make a trip out and visit sometime soon.
Melody

Ann Ornie said...

Dang! BB Explorer!
I went camping too.....and we all let our cell's die and didn't take pictures.....stupid.

You can call me Betty said...

by the way that was Ann......the comment before this one...

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Good thing he is alright, accidents can be really scary!! Hope all works out with the insurance!

Tara said...

I am so glad he's okay!! The insurance company will pay for you to have a rental car until you get a check for the explorer...and if you need to get an attorney Joe DiBartolomeo in Astoria is the very best he'll take care of everything for you. Hope you get this settled and behind you quickly. T

Colie said...

I'm glad that everyone is okay! Ugh - what a day! Good luck painting:-). Perhaps you'll get a new car out of the deal!